Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Yellow River Cafe - Upper Street Islington



I've read countless reviews of the Yellow River chain on various websites. Most of them have negative things to say; poor service, cold food, dishes arriving separately with long waits in between, overpriced etc etc. To be honest I disagree. In fairness I've never been to any of the other Yellow Rivers, there are branches in Guildford, Reading and such like places (can't possibly step outside of Zone two, might get a nosebleed) and as far as I'm aware the Islington branch is the only one in London. I've been going for years now and have never been anything less than thoroughly satisfied.
Their Lamb Massaman curry is fantastic, the meat has been cooked in the sauce and all the flavours melt together, the lamb has always been so tender. Makes the poor attempts by the more famous independent Thai restaurants (that is the stuff of a whole different post) look amateur. Last night I went for the crispy chilli beef with chinese greens in oyster sauce and plain rice. Their prawn crackers are a harder spicier version of the more common variety and are addictive, be warned. Service is always spot on, I am never left waiting longer than I should be, everything arrives promptly and is at the right temparature, I have never experienced any of the previous reviewers causes for complaint. Hell, I even like the little fortune cookies that they give you with your bill, cheesy as they are. The only slight criticism I would make is the dodgy giant smiling dayglow photos of the proprieter Mr Ken Hom on the walls all seem a bit chairman Mao for me.
When in Islington go visit, it's worth it. www.yellowrivercafes.co.uk

No comments: