Saturday, April 22, 2006

Urban Cafe, Edgware Road


I work in Victoria but the project I’m currently working on is based over in Marylebone/Edgware Road area. I am only just starting to get to know the area properly and still get lost a lot. I’m a surveyor so most of my work involves traipsing from property to property measuring kitchens, placating tenants and worrying about immersion tanks, condensing boilers and how to meet the government’s precious cubic capacity targets based on what they consider the mythical ideal of a “decent home”. Fascinating isn’t it?

Anyway, all this wandering about means certain biological necessities like eating, drinking and going to the toilet, get a bit more difficult. I am lucky enough to have found myself a second office, it’s called the Urban located in the Edgware Road and is a Turkish greasy spoon. A Turkish greasy spoon, living in Hackney as I do, is something I appreciate and feel on safe ground with. In fact in Hackney there is no such thing anymore as a non-Turkish greasy spoon. All the Iranian fare on offer on the Edgware Road leaves me a bit confused. I’m sure you can’t just walk in and ask for a coffee and a bacon sandwich and then use the loo, now can you?

The folk in the Urban are extremely nice and I now have my own seat and don’t even have to order my coffee, it appears as if by magic. I am allowed to make noisy phone calls about condensing boilers and immersion tanks without anyone getting annoyed. They also make nice cheese and ham toasties.

Everyone who works in the construction industry has a second office, the Urban on the Edgware Road is mine.

No comments: